Happy family

Find a legal form in minutes

Browse US Legal Forms’ largest database of 85k state and industry-specific legal forms.

Mississippi Name Change Law

Name Change – General – Mississippi

Note:  This summary is not intended to be an all inclusive discussion of the law applicable to an action for change of name in Mississippi, but does include basic and other provisions.

Name Change Action Allowed: In Mississippi, a person may change their name by filing an action in the Chancery Court with appropriate forms.

Is there any reason why a person might not be allowed to change his or her name? Yes.  The court must find that the requested name change is consistent with the public interest.  A person is not allowed to change their name in order to avoid judgments or legal actions against him or her, or to avoid debts and obligations.  A person can not change their name to defraud any person.

Requirements for Name Change Order: For an order of name change to be granted, the court must finds sufficient reasons for the change and also find it consistent with the public interest. A change of name upon marriage, dissolution, or divorce meets these requirements.

Is Publication of a Notice Required? No.

Can individuals “object” to my Petition for Name Change? Yes.  Any reasonable objections made to the court may influence the court’s findings as to whether the change of name is consistent with the public interest.

Procedures: The process for obtaining a name change for an adult in the State of Mississippi begins with the filing of a Petition with the Chancery Court in the jurisdiction in which Petitioner resides.  The Petition informs the Court of the Petitioner’s name, the name the Petitioner wishes to adopt, and the reasons for the requested change of name.

If the court is satisfied there is no reasonable objection to the name change and that it is consistent with the public interest, the Court will issue the Order Changing Name.


Jurisdiction to alter names and legitimate offspring; legitimation by subsequent marriage:

(1) The chancery court or the chancellor in vacation, of the county of the residence of the petitioners shall have jurisdiction upon the petition of any person to alter the names of such person, to make legitimate any living offspring of the petitioner not born in wedlock, and to decree said offspring to be an heir of the petitioner.

(2) An illegitimate child shall become a legitimate child of the natural father if the natural father marries the natural mother and acknowledges the child.

M.C.A., Title 93 Domestic Relations, Chapter 017 Adoption, Change of Name, and Legitimation of Children, Section 93-17-1.

Inside Mississippi Name Change Law